The city of Lincoln Park grew very rapidly after World War II ended in 1945.   During the war, there had been a huge influx of workers into the city of Detroit due to the many jobs available in the defense industry.  Servicemen and women returned home to find an extreme housing shortage within the city of Detroit.  Lincoln Park offered a direct route to downtown Detroit and the Ford Rouge Plant via Fort Street and Dix-Toledo Road. Lincoln Park also offered an easy commute to the steel mills located along the Detroit River.  Soon new homes began springing up across the city.   It was with this backdrop that Father Joseph Torzewski founded Christ the Good Shepherd Parish in Lincoln Park in 1947.

While the church was being constructed, Mass was held at Hoover Public School across the street. The original Christ the Good Shepherd Church (the current "old gym") was dedicated and opened for services in 1948. In 1950, construction began on Christ the Good Shepherd School.  In late summer of that same year, Sisters of St. Joseph arrived to assume administration and teaching duties at the school.  That fall, classes began using the upper and lower levels of the church as classrooms.  There were 330 students enrolled.

In 1951, students began classes in the first ten classrooms built.  The following year, 428 students attended the school, and the first 8th Grade graduation was held.  In 1955, the current church was built.  It was designed to be a gym, with a new church to be added at a later time.  In 1957, a larger convent was built (the current "Parish Center"), and another eight classrooms were added to the school.  At this point, approximately 1,300 students attended the school.  In 1961, six more classrooms were added.  Enrollment at the school hits its peak that year with 1548 students.

In 1965, in a combined effort, Christ the Good Shepherd and St Pius Parishes broke ground for the construction of Aquinas High School.  The school would remain open until 2000.

In 1978, Sr. Kathleen Lupton left.  She would be the last of the Sisters of St. Joseph to serve as principal. Also in that year, the "old church" was converted to a gym.  In 1985, the convent was closed, and the last of the Sisters of St. Joseph left.  The teaching staff would remain composed of all lay men and women for many years after.

In the year 2000, the Christ the Good Shepherd Activities Building was opened.  It consists of a full sized gymnasium with locker rooms, as well as a well equipped cafeteria and kitchen.

By 2010, due to declining enrollment, the decision was made to enter into a merger school arrangement with Mount Carmel Catholic School, and Wyandotte Catholic School. The merger school would be housed in the Christ the Good Shepherd building.  This merger school was renamed as John Paul II Catholic School, and opened in 2011. The merger arrangement would last eight years before being dissolved in 2019. In the fall of 2019, a new parish school emerged at the Christ the Good Shepherd sight. This new entity is called  "St. John Paul II Classical Catholic School".

  • 1923

    Fr. Toole purchased a five acre section of Albert Kaier Orchard 1923 and the land was located just inside the Lincoln Park city limits to establish St. Henry Parish.

    JUNE 3 | Fr. Toole celebrated the first mass at St. Henry in Lincoln Park.

  • Nov 26, 2019

    1923 – 1924

    The catholic community of St. Henry grows to over 1000 families despite the opposition of the Ku Klux Klan who were active in Lincoln Park.

  • Nov 26, 2019


    SEPTEMBER 6 | St. Henry School opened with 350 students. Staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph with Mother Annette as Superior.

  • Nov 26, 2019


    St. Henry High School Closed

  • Nov 26, 2019


    Christ the Good Shepherd is founded and Fr. Joseph Torzewski named as pastor

    Christ the Good Shepherd’s first mass celebrated at “Hoover School auditorium”. (Pictured)

    The Ladies Society founded (became later Christian Mothers and now The Women of Good Shepherd)

    Ushers Club was founded / Robert Jones Council of  Knights of Columbus founded

  • Nov 26, 2019


    JUNE | First mass celebrated in the original church (currently located behind the wall of the sacristy) Dedication of the church September 1948.

  • Nov 26, 2019


    2,000 homes were built in the city of Lincoln Park

  • Nov 26, 2019


    Construction began for Christ the Good Shepherd School.  School opened staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis before construction was finished in September 1950.  There was originally 1 classroom.

  • Nov 26, 2019


    St. Vincent de Paul Society formed in the Parish.

  • Nov 26, 2019


    The Parish had grown to over 2,000 families.  A temporary “church” was to be built to accommodate the crowds.  The build eventually would become a gymnasium.  Today this structure stands as our permanent church and worship site.

    SEPTEMBER | First mass celebrated in the church

    DECEMBER | The painting interpretation of the 23rd psalm was completed by artist Jean Charlot.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Eight more classrooms were added to the school building. 

    Construction of the convent (Parish Center).

    The Booster Club was organized.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Six more classrooms added to the school building.  Peak enrollment also in school was 1,546 students.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Fr. Masterson offered last Mass in wooden Church at St. Henry parish.

    DECEMBER | Msgr. Morin, Fr. Masterson, Msgr. McCabe & Fr. Matocvich broke ground on the new St. Henry's Church (pictured)

  • Dec 4, 2019


    OCTOBER | Construction was completed on the church.

    Construction on St. Henry's Church.

    Msgr. James P. McCabe blesses the cornerstone on October 20,1963.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Aquinas High School opens.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    First graduation class from Aquinas High School

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Closing of St. Henry elementary school.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Fr. Adolph Redwick became pastor / (co-pastor with Fr. Leo Phalen from 1972-1975)

  • Dec 4, 2019


    The hand carved statures of St. Mary and St. Joseph from Italy were placed in the church along with the present altar obtained from Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Wyandotte.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Fr. Dave Buersmeyer became pastor

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Convent building was converted to the parish center for meetings and fellowship

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Gathering space was built.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Closing of Aquinas High School

    Built an Activities Building (including a gym, cafeteria, and commercial kitchen)

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Fr. Kevin Thomas became pastor.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    Fr. Tony Richter became pastor.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    JUNE | Christ the Good Shepherd School Closes

    SEPTEMBER | Opening of John Paul II Catholic School  (joint venture with St. Joseph, St. Patrick and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parishes)

  • Dec 4, 2019


    MAY | Dedication for the Stations of the Cross (from St. John Cantious Parish that was closed in the Delrey area of Detroit)

  • Dec 4, 2019


    MARCH | Merging of St. Henry Parish with Christ the Good Shepherd.

  • Dec 4, 2019


    JULY | Fr. David Bechill became pastor.

    SEPTEMBER | John Paul II Catholic School became John Paul II Classical Catholic School.