Respect Life Activities
Respect Life Activities occur within Christ the Good Shepherd parish at the committee level. Some of the activities which take place during the year are:
- Baby Shower: October is Respect Life Month which heightens our awareness to respect all forms of life. Throughout the month the entire parish is able to participate in a baby shower which is hosted by the Women of Good Shepherd. The proceeds from the shower are used to support the efforts of the Downriver Crisis Pregnancy Center and the Council of Catholic Women's 'Operation Layette.'
- Life Saver Drive: The Life Saver Drive is held one weekend in October with the proceeds used to purchase educational supplies concerning all stages of life for the Downriver Resource Center.
- Roe vs. Wade: January is the month when the anniversary of the Roe vs Wade decision was made by the U.S. Supreme Court to legalize abortion in our country.. Candles are sold to those who would like to burn them on the eve of the decision of Roe vs Wade in memory of the millions of babies aborted since 1973.
- Mother's Day Roses: May is the month of devotion to the Virgin Mary and respect for human life is promoted in conjunction with Mothers’ Day. Usually roses are sold on Mother's day and the profits are donated to the Downriver Right to Life Office (734-282-6100) to be used strictly for educational purposes.
- “Spiritual Adoption”: The entire parish is invited to participate in the “Spiritual Adoption” of a baby in danger of being aborted. The “Spiritual Adoption” begins on the Feast of the Annunciation and ends on Christmas Day.